Healthy Juice Recipes
If you're just about to start your juicing adventure, this one is for you. When I was a beginner, I used to love recipes like this, as they tasted great but yet are still chock-full of nutrients.
The lovely vibrant orange colour of this juice looks as friendly as it tastes. The melon and carrots give it a delicious sweet flavour. The lemon and ginger give it a nice refreshing kick while adding to the benefits.
Of course, the ultimate goal when juicing is to go for green juices that include leafy greens and other cruciferous vegetables — which unfortunately most people struggle to include in their diet. However, don’t make the mistake of going for the hardcore green juices immediately, as this can put you off juicing.
Instead, take baby steps and start with this recipe and others like it. You’ll slowly but surely find yourself drinking grownups juices in no time.
2 large wedges | 300g
2 medium | 300g
½ a fruit | 70g
1 thumb-size piece | 30g
- Wash all ingredients thoroughly under running water.
- Remove the melon rind.
- Chop all ingredients into a size that best works for your juicer.
- Feed everything into your juicer, alternating between soft and hard ingredients.
- For full benefits, consume immediately or as soon as possible, but within 24 hours.
- Store in an airtight glass bottle or jar and refrigerate.
Health and Nutritional Benefits
- Melons are water-rich fruits which help in keeping the body hydrated. Hydration is essential to prevent headaches, dry skin and mouth, constipation and low blood pressure. It also helps with the digestive system.
- The powerful antioxidants in melons protect the body from free radicals which may lead to severe diseases such as some types of cancer.
- Melons have anti-inflammatory abilities which reduce the inflammations that may cause high blood pressure, cholesterol, heart attacks, and strokes.
- Potassium in melons regulates blood pressure and helps in keeping healthy blood circulation — This prevents blood cloths.
- Melons are high in Vitamin C which helps in maintaining a healthy immune system. It prevents illnesses and other infections and strengthens your blood vessels and bones.
- Melons also help in maintaining healthy hair and skin.
- Carrots reduce cholesterol levels and prevent heart disease.
- Carrots are high in potassium, which improves blood flow and circulation and lowers blood pressure.
- The amount of fibre found in carrots helps in maintaining a healthy digestive system. Fibre helps with constipation and prevents related stomach problems.
- Carrots contain beta-carotene which reduces the risk of several cancers, such as lung cancer, breast cancer, and colon cancer.
- Vitamin A found in carrots is useful for improving eyesight. Vitamin A helps in maintaining a healthy complexion, preventing acne and dry skin. It is also vital for healthy skin, hair and nails.
- Carrots regulate blood sugar.
- The source of Vitamin C in lemons helps in treating scurvy and asthma, helps to maintain a healthy immune system and improves blood circulation and prevents blood clots that cause strokes. It also fights off free radicals which are known to cause cancer.
- Lemons detox the liver by dissolving the uric acid and other toxins harmful to the liver.
- The citric acid and potassium in lemons aid our digestive system, ease constipation and help to dissolve kidney stones.
- The powerful antioxidants in lemons promote mucous membrane health, improve skin health, and eyesight.
- Lemons are also excellent for fighting off headaches, cold, flu, and other infections. They also combat fatigue and bad breath.
- Ginger is incredible with healing digestive problems. It eases painful and uncomfortable conditions like constipation, bloating, nausea, period cramps, motion sickness and loss of appetite.
- Ginger promotes sweat which is very important. Sweat cleans out pores and eliminates toxins from the body. Sweat creates a layer over our bodies which protects us from bacteria and infections.
- Ginger stabilizes the sugar levels in our blood and reduces the risk of cholesterol.
- Ginger is a natural pain reliever, which also fights off bacteria and inflammations.
- This root is often used for treating cold and flu.
- Ginger fights against blood clotting which will help with the prevention of strokes and heart attacks.
- It helps to boost the immune system and gets rid of harmful toxins in our bodies.
- Ginger has been found to delay the growth of colorectal cancer.